It wouldn’t be right to visit Elk Grove Village and not stop by and say hi to the resident elk at the Busse Forest Elk Pasture. Such a cool thing to have in our neck of the woods!
Location: Located right by the busy intersection of Higgins and Arlington Heights Road (northwest corner).
Admission: Completely FREE
Parking: Parking lot
Public washrooms: Yes
- Free! Plenty of parking available
- Mostly shaded trail. We did only walk up to the bridge but we found that it was mostly shaded because of the towering trees along the way.
- Very cool bridge. It overlooks the busy Rt. 72 so that was pretty neat! Plus, it made for great photos!
- Finally finding elk! They were hanging out closer to the trail by the bridge. Since they were sitting, it was harder to find them earlier. But eventually we did and saw about 3 or 4 galloping to the other side of the pasture.
Tips to Enjoy Busse Woods Park:
- Bring bikes! There is a great shaded trail to follow. Here’s a photo of the trail map:
- Bring the bug spray!
- Plenty of signs say it — don’t feed the elk!
Even though we didn’t get to see them up close and personal, it was pretty cool seeing them frolicking in the pasture. What a gem in the Northwest suburbs! We will come back, bring our bikes, and hopefully get a better look at them.
Have you been to the Busse Forest Elk Pasture?
Interested in discovering more things to do in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago? Read my list of more than 100 things to do this summer!