Ticket prices: Admission is only $6 for everyone; under 12 is free. To enter the animal room is $1. Come on Tuesdays and Thursdays after 2 p.m. for Donation Afternoons (suggested amount of $1)
Location: 1095 West Perry Drive, Bourbonnais, IL located at Perry Farm Park
Parking: Parking lot with plenty of space
Stroller-friendly? If it’s crowded there may be areas that may be frustrating to navigate through.
Food: No food to purchase. Check out these nearby recommendations: Mancinos Pizza and Grinders,
La Siesta, Jimmy Joes BBQ, or Jaenicke’s Drive In
Crowded: We were here on a Saturday morning and it was crowded but not to the point that it was unbearable. It was probably due to the special event happening.
Misc: There is a closet for you to hang your coats
- Awesome Dinosaur Train event! The Exploration Station teamed up with Lakeshore PBS to celebrate Dinosaur Train’s and Wild Kratts’ new episodes. Anyone that’s familiar with Dinosaur Train can imagine how fun it was to see Buddy, the T-Rex, in person. At first, my youngest seemed only interested in following the dinosaur tracks, but then he finally realized who it was and couldn’t get enough of him!
|The lil ones warming up to Buddy|
- While my son was busy ogling Buddy, I was checking out this awesome craft station that I would love to someday DIY.
- A room dedicated to all things dinosaur with my dinosaur fan. Dig for fossils, pretend play with dinosaurs, coloring rub on stations, try on dinosaur costumes. As you’d expect this room was pretty popular and a big hit with dinosaur fans.
- The Medieval Castle Room is great! My two-year-old enjoyed exploring the multi-level castle (well just running through it) and insisted I accompany him. Next time, I would sit this one out – it does get a little tight in there!
- …the weather was nicer out! We would have loved to explore the outside.
- …we timed it right so we could participate in one of their daily activities offered through their Explore and More program.
Tips to enjoy the Exploration Station:
- On normal museum days, they offer Explore and More program with planned special activities such as crafts, stories, and science experiments.
- There’s plenty of things to do here. If you are pressed for time, check out their exhibits online and plan what you want to do.
- Pack a lunch and make it a fun-filled day! Exploration Station is located on Perry Farm Park where you can play at the playgrounds, visit farm animals, or take a relaxing walk through their stroller friendly trails.
Bourbonnais may be a bit far from us, but it was well worth the visit. With other activities around the area such as a farm and planetarium, this would make for a perfect day trip with the family.
Have you visited Bourbonnais lately?
Disclosure: Our family was provided complimentary admission to the Exploration Station through U.S. Family Guide. I was not required to express a particular point of view and all opinions are my own.