Our road trip from Chicago to Philadelphia included tons of fun spots, and one of our most favorites included a day in Put-in-Bay, Ohio, an island located in Lake Erie.(Yes, there are islands in Ohio. Read all about Put-in-Bay here). It’s been ages since my husband and I went to Put-in-Bay, and we’ve been meaning to bring the kids with us. One of the best ways, and most affordable, to get to this island is by Miller Ferry.
- Getting tickets were a cinch! You can walk up to get them in the ticket booth in front of the dock.
- Making kids happy. Simple gestures like these stickers are always appreciated. Happy kids = happy mom.
- Waiting is fun. While we were waiting in the passenger area, we watched ferry boats come back to the mainland. It’s always amazing to watch them “park” the boat. Watch it in action here.
- Cars welcome. You can bring your vehicle with you and drive it onboard. You can even stay in the vehicle, if you’d like.
- Enjoying the views. It was neat passing all the other islands.
- Quick. Getting to Put-in-Bay takes less than 20 minutes. Just long enough so my kids didn’t get antsy.
Tips to enjoy Miller Ferry:
- Visit their website to save money. They have great coupons on their website to save on your trip when exploring the island.
- Get to the docks at least 15-20 minutes beforehand. We parked in a free lot a few blocks away from the dock and ticket station.
- Stay warm. If the weather is cooler, rest assured that there are enclosed seats on the upper level.
- The seats are located on the upper deck and you have a flight of stairs you need to climb.
- If you don’t mind getting splashed, stay on the lower level.
- Looking for a golf cart rental? Once you arrive on the island, walk about 30 yards to find E’s Golf Cart Rentals. In less than five minutes, we were in our golf cart exploring the Island.
Did You Know?
- Miller Boat Line is the only scheduled means of transporting freight, cars and commercial vehicles to the islands of Put-in-Bay and Middle Bass.
- It’s the only scheduled ferry service to Middle Bass Island.
- They provide freight charters to North Bass Island and Rattlesnake Island.
- Since its beginning, Miller Boat Line has been family owned. Started in 1905 as a fishing charter, water taxi and ice harvesting business, the company has grown to become the largest ferry service on Lake Erie.
- Miller Boat Line employs 95 people during peak season. Several employees have been working for the company for more than twenty years.
No doubt we’ll be back to Put-in-Bay Island. Love this place! And when we do, you’ll find us aboard Miller Ferry again.
Location: Dock is at 5174 E Water St., Port Clinton, OH 43452
Hours: Check website for schedule.
Ticket prices: Prices start at $7/adult, $1.50 ages 6-11, 5 and under are free. $16 per vehicle. $2 per bicycle.
Parking: There are lots that are closer that you have to pay a fee. Otherwise, there are other free parking lots just a short walk.
What to expect: A quick ride to Put-in-Bay
Stay tuned to see what we did on Put-in-Bay Island!
Disclosure: Our family was given complimentary tickets to experience Miller Line Ferry. I was not required to express a particular point of view and all opinions are my own.