One of our favorite annual traditions is going to Brookfield Zoo’s Boo! at the Zoo. We love going to zoo, but how much more fun is it go trick-or-treating while seeing your favorite animals? It’s a definite win-win for the entire family! We went last weekend and we had so much fun trick-or-treating throughout the zoo. In the end, the kids had bags full of delicious Ferrara Candy, and more Halloween memories. Don’t worry, you still have time to have fun with the family. Boo! at the Zoo is continues this coming weekend – Saturday, October 28th, and Sunday, October 29th.
Fun Activities at Boo! at the Zoo:
- Trick or treat station! There are five trick-or-treat stations located throughout the zoo. Last year they were stationed in one main area, but now you can go around the zoo and look for the special Ferrara Candy tents. The kids thought it was fun going on a “scavenger hunt.”
- Photos galore. You know how we love photos. Each station has a Halloween-themed backdrop.
- Smash Pumpkins. Watch the Pumpkin Smasher pulverize pumpkins into pieces every hour starting at 11:00 a.m. at the West Mall.
- Decor galore. Nothing like Halloween larger than life inflatables, gravestones, and pumpkins to set the mood for Halloween.
Other Fun Activities at Boo! at the Zoo:
- Strut your costume at the Costume Parade, which kicks off at 1:00 p.m. in front of the Discovery Center and ends on the West Mall.
- After the parade, enter the Costume Contest at 1:30 p.m. Judges will select winners in five categories: scariest, best animal theme, most original, best group theme, and weirdly awesome, in honor of Ferrara Candy Company’s weirdly awesome Trolli candy brand.
- Learn fun facts about the zoo’s furry friends at special Zoo Chats scheduled throughout the day. At 11:30 a.m., hang out at Australia House for a little banter about bats before wandering over to Regenstein Wolf Woods to hear about Mexican gray wolves at noon. Head to Hamill Family Play Zoo at 12:30 p.m. to learn about Goliath bird-eating spiders, and at 1:00 p.m. discover wise facts about owls. Scorpions will take the stage at the Play Zoo at 2:00 p.m., followed by large snakes at 2:30 p.m., and finally ravens at 3:00 p.m.
- Watch professional pumpkin carver Steve Dahlke create masterpieces out of gigantic pumpkins that weigh more than 1,000 pounds.
- Participate in fun crafts like creating a skeleton using recycled materials at the Hamill Family Play Zoo or decorate a spooky-looking and delicious cookie at the West Mall.
- Other fun activities include a run through the Crazed Maize Corn Maze, take a spin on the Creepy Cowboy Carousel, or snag a seat aboard a Haunted Hayride.
- See animals! The other half of the fun of trick-or-treating at the zoo includes seeing your favorite animals, right? We got a kick out of seeing the Snow Leopard roar for us.
Did you know?
- Ferrara Candy Company is sharing the goodness with the community by sponsoring 180+ neighbors with complimentary admission and transportation to Boo! at the Zoo. They are also donating more than 10,000 lbs. of candy and providing more than 300 volunteers to make this Halloween super special and spooktacular for the community.
WHAT: Boo! at the Zoo at Brookfield Zoo
WHEN: Saturday and Sunday, October 28-29, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
WHERE: Brookfield Zoo, 3300 Golf Road, Brookfield, IL 60513
COST: General zoo admission is $19.85 for adults and $14.50 for children 3-11 and seniors 65 and over. Children 2 and under are free. Parking is $12. (Additional fees apply to some Boo! at the Zoo activities.)