To kick off the start of our series, A Few of Our Favorite Experiences, I’d love to introduce you to our favorite museum in the Chicagoland area – The Museum of Science and Industry! And once the holidays roll around, MSI gets even more festive and always puts our family in the holiday spirit. Read on!
When: November 13th, 2014 to January 4th, 2015
Location: 5700 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago. MSI is located in Hyde Park
Parking: $20 for parking in the attached parking garage
Ticket prices: Exhibit is included in general admission prices. General admission costs: Adults are $18; Children 3-11 are $11
Stroller-friendly? We always bring our double stroller and never really have a problem navigating
- The awesome 45-foot grand tree is decorated in conjunction with the temporary exhibit. Last year and this year it’s a Disney theme to coincide with their Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives.
- It’s cool pointing out all the Disney ornaments on the trees.
- Different cultural acts each weekend and select weekdays. Unfortunately, we haven’t timed it so we could actually see one of the acts. Here’s a listing of all the performances.
- Finding our favorite tree! There are over 50 trees that are decorated by a different culture. It’s always so neat finding a favorite among them.
- It’s snowing! My boys love trying to catch the snow.
Tips to enjoying the Museum of Science and Industry with the family:
- Don’t expect to do it all! It is after all the largest museum in the western side of the hemisphere. Pick and choose what you want to see. And make plans to come back again.
- Bring your camera! Tons of photo ops with the grand Christmas tree and decorations throughout.
While you’re here…
- Check out the new permanent exhibit – Numbers in Nature: A Mirror Maze
The centerpiece of the exhibit is an 1,800-square-foot elaborate mirror maze in which guests can lose themselves in a seemingly infinite repeating pattern of mirrors. Interactive elements throughout the exhibit allow for hands-on learning to understand that math is all around us in everyday life, revealing the beauty of our world through numbers.
- Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives – They’ve added a small Frozen section, along with costumes from Santa Clause and Maleficent. Plus, learn how to draw holiday versions of Mickey and Minnie Mouse.
Visiting the Museum of Science and Industry is always fun, especially around the holidays with their Christmas Around the World exhibit. We look forward to seeing it every year, and has become a holiday tradition.
GIVEAWAY NITTY GRITTY:
Win (4) FREE tickets for your family!
I’ve got four tickets for one lucky family to visit the Museum of Science and Industry during its Christmas Around the World celebration. Tickets will include (4) general admission to the Museum of Science and Industry. I do check each and every entry. Contest ends Monday, November 17 at 12:00 a.m. Winner will be notified by email.
(1) Lucky family will receive 4 tickets for general admission tickets to the Museum of Science and Industry.
Disclosure: This review was based on complimentary admission to the Museum of Science and Industry. I was not required to express a particular point of view and all opinions are my own.