It’s Day 4 and we’re excited to share our love of trains. If you’re catching up here are some of our favs (with a couple giveaways!)
Day 1: The Museum of Science and Industry’s Christmas Around the World exhibit (AND GIVEAWAY!)
Day 2: Chicago Trolley Holiday Lights Tour
Day 3: Morton Arboretum’s Illumination: Tree Lights (AND GIVEAWAY!)
While there may be no shortage of Polar Express rides around, we enjoyed riding the rails at the Illinois Railway Museum.
This is a repost with updated dates for 2016.
IMPROVED FORMAT FOR 2016 – longer train ride, easier boarding, Santa Claus riding along on the train with you!
We had such a great time over the summer at Illinois Railway Museum’s Day Out With Thomas that we thought it would be perfect to check it out again.
When: November 26th, 27th, December 3rd, 4th, 10th, 11th, 17th, and 18th
Ticket prices: $18.00 per person over the age of 1
Location: 7000 Olson Road, Union, IL
Parking: Plenty of parking
Stroller-friendly?: These are vintage trains with narrow aisles – I would leave the stroller at home
- Just riding the rails – my son just loves being around trains, so he was extra excited to be riding on one
- The conductor, Mrs. Claus, and Santa gave the kids plenty of goodies to make my train-obsessed toddler happy – coloring books, cookies, a cute train card, and a goody bag filled with train related items
- Knowing that everyone helping with this event are all volunteers
- The obligatory Santa photo. My youngest couldn’t stop staring at him (hey, at least he wasn’t screaming like my oldest last year!)
- …there was music or singing on the train. Anything to make it more festive.
- …the train ride was a little longer
The boys always enjoy themselves whenever they get to ride trains. This was no exception. Although we would have liked to spend more time on the train, the kids still enjoyed the activities and the goodies at the “North Pole” and of course, meeting the jolly old man himself.
Do you have a favorite holiday train event that we should check out?
Read a list here of other holiday train events.
Disclosure: Though our family was provided complimentary tickets for the Happy Holiday Railway Event, I was not required to express a particular point of view and all opinions are my own.