As always, we are always on the lookout for cool, unique places to eat that are also kid-friendly. When I learned about Legit Dogs and Ice in Elgin that not only served out of the ordinary gourmet hot dog creations but also authentic Hawaiian shaved ice. I knew we needed to check it out for ourselves. We are now total Legit fans! After one visit, you may be hooked too.
So in true Legit Dogs and Ice style, consume a little anarchy in your day.
Highlights of Legit Dogs and Ice:
- Insane hot dogs. With witty names such as “Sleeping with the Enemy” or “Bad Hombre” to lure you in, it’s the fabulous gourmet dogs that will make you want to come back again and again. It all starts out with amazing hot dogs from Ream’s Meat Market in Elburn, then Legit Dogs takes over and transforms it with the crazy yet delicious concoctions. It was tough choosing a favorite but my husband devoured “Sleeping with the Enemy,” a hot dog topped with roast beef and all the fixins.
You also can’t miss “Remember Halloween,” a buffalo chicken dog with lettuce, tomato, carrots, and bleu cheese topped with hot sauce. Scary yummy!
Kids can get a straight edge (a plain dog) but if you have a growing hungry boy or crave a little variety, I’d suggest trying the Max n Cheese Dog made with homemade macaroni and cheese. I took a few bites and was hooked! In fact, all three kids kept asking for more.
The most popular one, and rightfully so, was the Bad Hombre, a dog topped with all sorts of goodness – cilantro, mango, crunchy corn, and more.
Honestly, though you can’t go wrong with any dog. The hardest part is choosing one!
- Cool vibe. You’ll be heading down to the basement – somewhat similar to entering a cool, underground punk rock cave. It may be intimidating at first but it’s totally fun! You’ll find a stage with street art and along the other side of the wall lies the video game stations.
- Ah-mazing shaved ice. This ain’t a regular snow-cone – it’s so much better! Imagine super soft snow topped with your preferred syrup flavors made from 100% cane sugar. Inside you’ll find a little surprise — their homemade macadamia nut ice cream. Oh, my goodness. Plus, they are always coming up with new (and sometimes humorous) flavors like Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow. Oh, if you have kids, one is enough to share.
- Ube goodness. I heard through the grapevine (thanks, Facebook!) that they made ube ice cream and actually shaved it to make halo halo, a Filipino dessert specialty.
You had me at Ube, @legitdogsandice. Loved my halo halo with ube shaved ice. A return visit is in order! . . . @exploreelgin #exploreelgin #otheplaceswego #instadessert #instaeats #ilovefood #otheplaceswego #discovermidwest #igersmidwest #midwestblogger #midwestbloggers #midwestfamilytravelers #chicagoblogger #explorechicago #igchicago #igerschicago #enjoyillinois #chicagojpg #chicagomom #windycitybloggers #enjoyillinois #halohalo #ube #shavedice
- Games. My kids are currently obsessed with video games. When they first laid their eyes on the large tvs with equally large joy sticks they couldn’t wait to start playing.
- Awesome owners. I had a chance to chat with Matt and he’s as down to earth as his epic hot dog creations. Make sure to say hi when you visit!
My kids are already asking when they can come back and I’m totally game — we’re craving those awesome hot dogs and shaved ice.
Tips to enjoy Legit Dogs and Ice:
- Wednesdays are for kids – they eat free!
- Visit on Thursdays when shaved ice is half off.
Location: 51 S. Grove, Elgin
Hours: Wednesday to Sunday 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Parking: Easy to find street parking along with a parking garage down the street.
Disclosure: Our family was a provided complimentary meal in exchange for a review. I was not required to express a particular point of view, and all opinions are my own.