Did you know this week is National Library Week? Come join me every day this week as I showcase some of our favorite libraries in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.
Today we’re going to explore the Elk Grove Village Public Library. This was one of the first libraries that we visited on our “library hunt” and my kids fell in love with the play area. The library offers many things to encourage imaginative play and creativity.
Location: 1001 Wellington Avenue, Elk Grove Village
Hours: Mon-Thu: 9am – 10pm, Fri: 9am – 7pm, Sat: 9am – 5pm, Sun: 1pm – 5pm
Parking: Outdoor parking lot
Why Kids Will Love the Children’s Area at Elk Grove Village Library:
- The children’s area is quite spacious and bright with floor to ceiling windows on one wall.
- Imaginations run wild with play animals and dinosaurs..
- ..not to mention two play castles
- ..and a play kitchen perfect for whipping up something yummy…
- ..or even a fun puppet show with seating readily available for other kids…or dinosaurs
- Who doesn’t love LEGOs? Kids are encouraged to build also with large waffle blocks.
- My youngest is at a stage where he loves puzzles. Nice selection to choose from.
Special Activities Planned for National Library Week:
- Sign up for their “Under the Sea” celebration where there will be something for
everyone including puppets, stories, skits, and songs. Costumes welcome, but
not required. Program is 60-90 minutes and recommended for ages 2-8.
Wednesday, April 15 @ 6:30pm
Thursday, April 16 @ 10am
Did you know?
- The library will celebrate their 56th anniversary in July.
- The first Elk Grove Library was located in a single-family house. The mailbox served as a book return, and the bathtub served as storage for returned books.
- ..we could have attended their storytime. We heard great things about programs that they offer.
- ..the area could use a little updating but kids don’t mind at all.
The Elk Grove Village Library has a lot to offer for those curious little minds. My kiddos had a great time here and are always asking to come back. Next time, we may pair the library with Jumps N Jiggles located across the street.
Have you been to the Elk Grove Village Library?