Disclosure: Our family was provided a complimentary stay at the Pheasant Run Resort. I was not required to express a particular point of view, and all opinions are my own.
Since we were in town for Family Palooza, we thought we’d make it a staycation at the Pheasant Run Resort where the event was being held. We had no idea that the resort was so family-friendly!
Location: 4051 East Main Street, St. Charles, Illinois. Food, shopping, a charming downtown area – all located within a few minutes.
Check-in and Check-out: 4 p.m. and 12 p.m. I requested an early check-in and they were kind enough to call me back for a check-in at 10 a.m.
Parking: Plenty of free parking.
Price range: Double rooms range from $109 – $189. Tower penthouse room suite range from $300 – $479.
- Located in the suburbs of St. Charles, about an hour west of Chicago
- Cute downtown area located a few minutes away
- Plenty of shops, restaurants, and mall located nearby
- Friendly staff. We were greeted by the friendliest people (and they even remembered my birthday!)
- Two very cool pools. In fact, they are known for their indoor/outdoor pool where you can swim underneath through an opening to reach the other side.
- Heated pool. A very big deal since most of the pools we’ve been to (besides water parks) are usually freezing. We situated ourselves right by the waterfall where the warm water continuously ran.
- Access to the Big Easy. They have a cute New Orleans-themed area, Bourbon Street, complete with cobblestone or brick sidewalks with shops, an arcade, restaurants, and our favorite, an ice cream shop.
- Did someone say ice cream? You betcha! Always a plus (and dangerous) when we are minutes within an ice cream shop. Bourbon Street Creamery serves Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream from Wisconsin. It’s definitely delicious and trust me – your taste buds will thank you.
- Surprising kids entertainment. When we were strolling through Bourbon Street, a balloon artist surprised with a couple magic tricks and made us a few balloon creations.
- Loved that I was able to get some much-needed “mommy” time at their spa, Spa Vargas. Voted #1 resort spa by Chicago Tribune. I agree, it was pretty fab! More details about the spa to come.
- Easy access. Like I mentioned previously, we checked out Family Palooza and it was so convenient to just pop down whenever we wanted to. We didn’t need to lug around our jackets or worry about parking. We really didn’t even need to step out into the cold because everything was connected.
- Lots of choices to eat. Never go hungry with different places to eat that range from a cajun restaurant to a farm to fork restaurant.
- More goodness to come! They are currently undergoing renovation, but we never noticed. Although the renovations are ongoing, they want to ensure that the work has minimal impact on the guests.
We were lucky enough to stay in a renovated penthouse suite in the Tower with a separate king bedroom, living room with sleeper sofa, and two bathrooms.
- Spacious living room. The kids had more than enough space to play in the living room.
- Comfy bedroom with its own (smallish) master bathroom. The toilet/bathtub was separate from the sink.
- Two bathrooms. Always a plus for a family of five. The bathroom off of the living rooms was the perfect size for us with a tub/shower
- It was convenient having a mini-fridge and microwave for leftovers.
- Loved the floor to ceiling windows which gave us beautiful views of the golf course, lake, and even an airfield.
- Kids loved having access to a pool, but two pools? Even better!
- We loved borrowing board games at the activity center. And they had a wide variety to choose from.
- Throughout the weekend they had craft stations ($)
- …the master bathroom was more spacious. Since the toilet was so close to the door, we found ourselves hitting our knees every time we tried to open or close the door Not a huge deal since we used the main bathroom (much larger).
- …the fitness center was larger. Not a huge deal since we were kept busy with other things!
- …the internet would work in the room.
- …we had time to try their farm-to-harvest restaurant, Harvest. Looks absolutely delish!
- …check out all the outdoor activities – including a driving range and beautiful golf course.
Tips to Enjoy Your Stay at Pheasant Run Resort
- Ask for a room facing the airfield. It’s always fun watching planes take off and fly.
- They always offer affordable package specials on their website. For instance, they have a fun Easter package with an egg hunt, brunch, and more. During spring break, they also have tons of activities including scavenger hunts, cookie decorating, cooking classes. Check it out.
If we’re ever in need of an easy and close staycation, we’ll definitely head back to Pheasant Resort. The accommodations are perfect for families and I can’t wait to see the new improvements.
While you’re here
- Grab delicious gourmet ice cream in a sparkly cone at Kimmer’s Ice Cream in downtown St. Charles.