To kick off the Memorial Day weekend, we ventured two and a half hours to Rock Island, Illinois, one of the Quad Cities.
Lodging: We stayed at Jumer’s Casino and Hotel. Not exactly a family friendly hotel, but we just needed a place to sleep for the night. We enjoyed the small, but adequate pool area. The pools are adult-only from 10 p.m. to midnight. Those 21 and under are not allowed into the Player’s Buffet. We had a fairly large room with a king-sized bed. The room was nicely decorated and clean. The bathrooms were huge! No tub, but the shower area was large.
We were about 15 minutes away from the Iowa border so we decided to explore the Family Museum in Bettendorf, Iowa.
- $7 for everyone ages 2 – 59
- $4 for adults ages 59+ and children age one up to 2
- $4 for active military personnel, their spouse and children residing in the household
Free for visitors under age one and all Family Museum members
Since we have the ASTC membership from this Groupon deal, admission was free. We arrived at the Museum on a Saturday afternoon with an hour before closing. There were no crowds at all, and the museum is stroller friendly. We were able to enjoy all of the exhibits in that amount of time and even go outside in the playground.
- In the Amazing Acres exhibit, we learned about weather by creating a cloud and even touching a tornado
- Outdoors in the Kingdom of Kids Playground, he enjoyed splashing for a little bit in the water area. He loved the playground area with a mini zip line. There is a really cute area to sit down and have a lunch.
- In the Playhouse, my son was enamored in the kiddie bathroom where he liked brushing the big fake teeth with the huge toothbrush. He loved going up and down the mini slide as well.
- Rhythm Alley he liked playing with all the different types of xylophones
Food: Whitey’s Ice Cream, a chain with tons of yummy flavors. My husband chose the cotton candy and I chose the Graham Cracker one. Both were delicious and to this day my husband craves the cotton candy ice cream.
Around the area: More places we would have liked to check out if we had more time include the Splash Junction Water Park, Rock Island Arsenal, John Deere Pavillion
Bottom Line: Would definitely recommend the Family Museum. It’s small enough to spend a few hours and didn’t feel rushed to see everything. My son enjoyed almost every exhibit.