My daughter absolutely LOVES strawberries so when strawberry picking season rolled around, I knew we had to bring her to experience her first strawberry U-Pick experience. It was a must on our summer bucket list. As I was doing research, many recommendations pointed to one farm – Stade’s Farm & Market in McHenry. After our experience, we totally agree!
- Plenty to pick from. They offer over 20 acres of strawberries. I’m talking rows and rows and rows of strawberries. So you won’t have to worry about the crop being picked through. We went closer to the end of the season, but still found plenty of strawberries. (We just needed to walk a little further out.)
- So delicious! There’s nothing like picking fresh berries off the vine. You can definitely taste the difference from those store bought.
Strawberry picking 🍓 ✅ So much fun at @StadeFarm in #McHenry. Perfect weather, not crowded, and still tons of strawberries to choose from. . . . . #otheplaceswego #discovermidwest #igersmidwest #midwestblogger #midwestfamilytravelers #chicagoblogger #explorechicago #igchicago #igerschicago #enjoyillinois #chicagomom #windycitybloggers #enjoyillinois #visitmchenrycounty #strawberries #farm #freshfromthefarm
- Educational. It was a great way to see how their favorite fruit is grown, especially when it’s something they love.
- Strawberry treats. I was looking forward to this the entire time. Strawberry frosted donuts and strawberry lemonade slushes. SO, so good! They were also selling their apple cider donuts. Yum!
It would be a crime to go strawberry picking @stadefarm without picking up some of these strawberry 🍓 frosted donuts. . . . . #otheplaceswego #discovermidwest #igersmidwest #midwestblogger #midwestbloggers #midwestfamilytravelers #chicagoblogger #explorechicago #igchicago #igerschicago #enjoyillinois #chicagojpg #chicagomom #windycitybloggers #crystallake #enjoyillinois #visitmchenrycounty #mchenry #donut #dessert #dessertlover #instasweet #pink #pinkfrosting
- Few attractions. They did have a couple attractions open that needed tickets to ride. Their normal play area was not open.
Tips to enjoy Stade’s Farm:
- If you’re buying a lot, they have wagons for you to transport the strawberries. (Not for kids to ride, though!)
- There is a short 3-5 minute walk from check-in to the fields. Bring your strollers or wagons if you have little ones that will tire.
- They accept credit card except for American Express.
- Wear close-toed shoes. It will be much easier to walk around, plus if it’s been raining you may find mud. In fact, bring an extra pair of shoes to change out of.
- Want to bring a lunch and picnic? They have tables for you.
- Wear long pants. My middle one complained that they bushes were touching his leg. We’ll probably bring pants next time and change out of it if it’s too hot.
What a great way to spend a nice summer day! If you have strawberry picking on your bucket list, make it happen at Stade’s! In fact, my daughter is already asking when we can return.